*Stay faithful to the stories in your head.


* Fiction writing is great. You can make up almost anything.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Smartness - wisen me on it please

“You’re smart” he said,
Me: “Yeah, its as good as saying the sun rises from the east – c’mon you’re stating the obvious”
He: “Heyhey, you’re the last word in humility aren’t you…..you never let me finish my sentence. “You’re smart ass”

I chuckled and moved along my way. But I was thinking (nothing new!!!)….what is “Smart”? I mean we use it ever so often – but what does it actually mean?

Is smart a good looking, nattily dressed characters? Hmmm - then most of the fashion models, and the film stars would be smart. Uhhh – nope this cant be the best fit for the word smart.

Uhhh, can it mean, someone who make millions – basically who keeps producing moolah. Well, then the likes of Ambani ,Narayanmurthy, Gates & Mittal would be smart….umm hmmm not totally convincing description. And that would mean, anyone who can’t make money is not smart….Nope not a good meaning.

What about someone of can think quick & fast? Well Vishwanathan Anand, Chanakya & Einstein would qualify - their thought processes are complex and fast…But that means brain power equals smartness…umm not totally and "Thinking" could mean philosophers too….Socrates, Plato, Confucius – well they should qualify to be smart too!!!! And what about writers, poets, artists – creativity is unique thinking…so the entire breed of writers, poets, painter could qualify as smart.

Hey, I’m missing it all (strange considering that we’re supposed to be living in the “Smart Generation”)….. probably, confidence and self belief does make up quite a bit of “Smartness”

Anyways, I’ve done my analysis…I think, I’m “kind of dumb and kind of smart”

But, you guys tell me what in your opinion describes “Smart”, and while you write in and wisen me up about Smartness,
I’ll look into the mirror and try to figure out which part of me is dumb& which part of me smart.

10 comments:

we-the-helping-hands said...

Is smart a good looking, nattily dressed characters? etc etc... hehe good write up.....
Ummmm.. i guess SMART should be someone methodical and rusty enough to Tackle these taggers;)
or someone sexy and mirthy enuf 2 ridicule d taggers ;) :D dunno :P

GSV said...

hey Nonssens..I can just guess that in ur 'wisen'ing process u might make the 'smart' one dumb..:P

P.S- i belong to your category.:D
also please notify me when u know ur kind!..okay!..:)

Mustafa Quilon said...

"If you're smart then that means you have a lot of knowledge and you can do things that other people can't do!" - Wiki


"I would rather relate "smartness" and "intelligence" to "form" and "class" in cricketing terms. The usage of the word in India is as flickery as saying - "great shot!" or "He's a genius!"


It is also used, when the person saying this is "outdone in wits" by the one complimented or to impress the empress(mostly in India) and yet maintain the "You're smart, but I'm intelligent" look.


Nice take :)

Anonymous said...

well, i would call it a "smart" ending because this time you forced me to leave a substantive comment.

You were so close to figuring it out, or may be u figured it out! and wanted the reader to follow it(?) Did you find that smartness is contextual? However, people like Gandhi, Plato, Kant and others who could make sense out of nonsense would have their smartness spanning contexts.

Having said that, you would be smart in most of the situations, and of course not so smart in some.

Here is my attempt to define smart, "An act or expression that stands out in a set of similar influences." The act or expression may appear standing out in the same time frame.

Whoa! That should be smart. :-)

Anonymous said...

Comment 2

I realized a simpler way after giving a technical definition.
I looked up the dictionary and this is the most appropriate meaning that appealed me.
"A kind of pain such as that caused by a wound or a burn or a sore" (Noun)
VERB: "Be the source of pain"
(Selected) Usage:
Painfully severe
"he gave the dog a smart blow"

So, now go and tell that smart ass fellow to stop being smart (read, PITA - Pain in the ***)

Unknown said...

Being 'Smart' for me is being particularly good or better than most. Add a tinge of brevity/neatness to that, and thats ‘Smart’ for me.

For example if a player plays chess really well … and there’s a neatness in his play .. he is a smart chess player. If a lady dresses better than most and looks good .. w/o being overdressed .. that’s being smartly dressed …. so on and so forth.

jasp said...

It's almost like that word 'good' .... everyone's good and everything's good! In much the same manner, who isn't smart, and what isn't smart?

An intelligent guy is smart ... a smooth talker is smart ... a well endowed young lady is smart and so is that hunk with six pack abs, a bright baby is smart ... Gosh, even robots are smart. Forget humans and their 'artificial' replacements, the newer cars and homes which are fitted with some amount of automation are also said to be smart! In the Military, we've started getting smart weapon systems ...

A tight slap or blow is said to be a smart one. The person receiving it also smarts from the hurt - both physical as well as emotional!

Quite a word .... and used sarcastically, all the acronym meanings are also true - very smart! To say nothing of current slang like smart ass or smarty pants :)

I guess everything is smart these days. Remember that old nursery rhyme? Allow me the liberty of adapting it a bit ....


There was a smart man and he walked a smart mile,
He found a smart sixpence upon a smart stile.
He bought a smart cat, which caught a smart mouse.
And they all lived together in a little smart house

NonsSens said...

Wow....."everything & every one" is smart...look at your observations & answers.....abso great.
Didn't realize I knew such "smart" people :)

NonsSens said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hazaron Khwahishein said...

Let me think... hummm.... Never thought such a simple word will make me think so much....

I think... Smartness means....
- the ability to find out our way in any situation independently....
- Handling the situation without losing our nerve...
- Not letting people or situation affect our thinking process, so take unbiased decision...
Smartness is a total summation of this all...

And hey... all of us are sometimes smart and dumb sometimes... Balancing between both is a very human way of being 'smart'... :-)