*Stay faithful to the stories in your head.


* Fiction writing is great. You can make up almost anything.

Friday, February 22, 2008

Its Special


It was a special occasion, and I was a little nervous. Will my date go all right? I stood at the doorway waiting anxiously with my camera and the best smile I could muster.The van drew up and out they poured – my breakfast & luncheon date - 50 special children with absolutely special, almost divine smiles on their faces. I was told that they were shut out from the cacophony of the world – they couldn’t hear or speak. But seeing them all excited, and chattering almost nineteen to the dozen with their hands, I found that I was the only dumb character around – actually, I was dumb-founded.The children’s guardian acted as the interpreter – he told me that they’d already thrown at least a dozen questions at me - “Howdy”“Why do you just smile and not answer?”“Why are you just holding the camera – don’t you want to use it”“The flowers in the garden look great – do you grow them yourself”“What is for breakfast?”Uhhh ohhh, I shook myself out of my reverie, and rushed forth to arrange the breakfast dishes. By the time I came back with the piled dishes, the children had already organized themselves into groups, and were waiting patiently. Breakfast was a heady affair. The kid’s joked galore, laughed aloud, appreciated the food – all with gestures. I marveled at their happy faces and moved around clicking them. Some of them struck poses, others just stuck out their tongues and some even offered to click me!!!!!Then came the magic show organized for them. The magician was just too good. I was mesmerized for a while. Then looking around, I saw, some the kids were in the same boat as me, following each movement of the magician.At the far corner there was this guy, shyly “talking” with his hands to this girl at the other end of the room – aha whispering sweet nothings I guess.The girl blushed at something he said. I looked away – didn’t want to trespass on the lovers.Another corner 3 of those spunky, naughty looking guys tried to smother their giggles….they were sharing a private joke, or maybe thinking up some wicked pranks.Two other girls in the centre of the room had scowls & were wildly gesticulating to each other. The interpreter told me, they were fighting. One stern gesture at them & they stopped “fighting”.Wow…….I marveled at their internal rhythm……the sound of silence was so divine.Lunch came & went – I already had about 50 photos captured in my camera.Soon it was time my dates to go back. Hmmmm, they were all over the place talking to me again – hey, hey hold on – I raised my palms & asked them to stop chatting & listen to me…..and then I “spoke” in their language the only 3 words I’d learnt…..My hands told them “I Love You”They were speechless – probably for the first time in the day, and for a moment I thought I’d messed up with the words…and then they just circled around me & hugged me real tight.,By the time they trooped into the van, there was a tight knot at the base of my throat as I bravely tried to smile.

9 comments:

richa said...

what a wonderful story!! is it based on a real incident. some of the words seemd forced "chattering" talking to a dozen...it seemed u were trying to forcefully depict them as "talking". it wasnt clear what your role was..and if they were children what were they doing whispering sweet nothings?? maybe they are like amrican children who grow up so fast!!
overall a very nice write up...worthy of being int he papers

... said...

Awesome.

Breadth-taking.

Scintillating.

"I love you" - to the author of the humanitarian article. You deserve a hug.

we-the-helping-hands said...

sweetheart:) wow! just read it.. its almost same as mine.. i started it.. but not yet completed...
thats a nice write up.... **hugs**

jasp said...

Very well written ... You should be grateful Nandini: Such an opportunity is truly an honour. Only a few are given an opportunity by God to be of service and to be able to share love and joy with such a group of small children. Sometimes one marvels at the patience and dedication of people who do it on a regular basis, day in and day out ...

Hazaron Khwahishein said...

That's really touching, Nandini. Is it a real incident? Even I felt a knot in throat towards end. Wish I was there to see and experience. Children are truly blessings.... Someone has rightly said, "A child is God's opinion that the world should go on." :-)

Anonymous said...

The best thing about your writing...you let your emotions flow.

Lovely reading it.

Love
Kreeti

Unknown said...

one beautiful picturisation of the music of silence.
As we call it here... Ossum!!!

AG

Yuvraj Jha said...

heart rendering!!
the loudest silence of speechless words...damned nice..did it actauly happen?

scintilla said...

Beautiful story...wonderfully written. I think it's almost perfect...

I respect and admire your writings and you as a writer because you're so good..

Keep writing :)
And thank you so much for commenting on my blog :D