*Stay faithful to the stories in your head.


* Fiction writing is great. You can make up almost anything.

Monday, October 19, 2009

Recession


I knew recession was all around us when I was informed that the light at the end of the tunnel was being switched off…. My guardian angel told me this. She also wanted to shift in with me for a while, since recession ensured that “good luck” had become scarce, and heaven couldn’t afford to accommodate the “good luck” carriers.
I figured since she’d helped me in the past, I wouldn’t let my sense of gratitude be victimized by the big R. And even though it meant that both of us would have to tighten our belts, it was OK……With the R haze all around, I had considerably lessened the cake, ice cream, cheese and mushrooms, chocolate mouse and adopted the bread, milk, potato and cabbage routine. My paunch was flattening out – the belt tightening was but natural.
The other day I went to see this blue blooded friend of mine, since she had just delivered a baby. I was shocked to see a white metal spoon in the baby’s mouth instead of a silver spoon. Ohh gee, I tell you, what recession can do.

But this one takes the cake (oops should it read as bread???) –
During our weekly departmental meeting with the boss, he started in his usual fiery style by announcing “The company needs change”
“Pathetic” I thought, as I emptied out my pockets and placed on the table the few coins I had. The company was paying us peanuts, and to top it all they wanted our coins.
The glare my boss gave literally scorched me. Well, well looks like the boss’s mean streak had not diminished due to recession.
I guess some things never change even when R is on prowl. Sigh !!!!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

You realized it in 12 years that you are paid in peanuts!!!! WoW.....

And the boss thing - Just wonderful. Is he reading this blog too.. I insist send the link to him

jasp said...

lolol ... nice one Nandz ... much your usual style. Glad to see that the recession doesn't seem to have affected that either!! :p

Neel said...

Terrific Nondini....The Big R has really caught up with all of us......
No escaping it, atleast for some more time it seems.....
Brilliant humour as usual....
And as for our paycheck is concerned....please wake up to the fact that we are all paid in peanuts....and like u, everyone is complaining....alas cant do anything about it....just have to grin and bear it....

Hazaron Khwahishein said...

Great Nandini, as usual.... This is what I find amazing... Your style of considering, imagining, seeing the totally unexpected angle of a very normal and taken for granted sort of situation... And you can add colours, spices to it and represent in fantastically amusing way... That's what is very refreshing... :-)
e.g.... the silver spoon turning into metal one... :-) ha ha ha... just the thought is so funny... But I thank God that your guardian angel is with you still... and you chose to keep him with you in difficult time...

Somehow, I haven't yet directly felt the effect of recession in any way... Touch wood... and cannot complaint about my pay-cheque or boss too... ;-)

Keep up the good work...

ruSh.Me said...

I love the belt tightening part.. Waiting for it for so long.. :D

Sarang Mahajan said...

Refreshing and hard hitting. It's typical you. Nice to read your write-up after a while. :-)

divineGirl said...

lolz...d imaginative wy uv written it :)
but quite close 2 reality... :O d big R damn! has been quite a hit.. err i mean has hit here n there....