*Stay faithful to the stories in your head.


* Fiction writing is great. You can make up almost anything.

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Caught in CONnection

Cecelia, you're breaking my heart You're shaking my confidence daily…..My mobile was blaring out this number (yup that’s my ringtone for the season)….....Drat!!!! where on earth was it. I rummaged frantically through the sheaves of paper and managed to locate it atlast.
Ohhh an unknown number - now that I took so much time locating the phone, I might as well answer the call.


Me: "Hello"
A pause
Me: "Hello" (louder one)
"Hello" (a woman greeted me with a slight tremor in the voice, and lots of anxiety)
Me: "Yes" (quite impatiently….c’mon baby I have loads of work…and don’t really have time to chat you up)
Woman (now with slight angst, and more force) : "You better give the phone to Mr. Khattar, I need to speak to him….and tell him its Mrs. Khattar speaking, and I cant understand why you are answering his phone".
(Gosh!!!! Her voice sentences sounded more like a snap)
In the mili second I took to think “Hey whats up”, the women pressed on…
"Look I know whats going on….I want to speak to my husband…and you better leave him, I’m not going to let this go on".


Hey, Hey, Hey….chill girl………so that’s what all this is about. - in the 45 seconds of chatting I knew the Khattar family’s scenario.

Being fed with snippets of dinner time TV almost all week nights, airing lots of similar stuff, I desperately wanted to get into the Reality TV show mode and say………hold on to the edge of your seat, increase your tension, I’ll come back to you with my answer after the break…….
But alas, this was no reality TV show….Mrs. Kattar had to be told the truth pronto.

"Ahem", I cleared my throat….at least I could make it a little dramatic…….in a smooth low voice (which I hoped would calm Mrs. Khattar), I said : "Ma’am you have the wrong number – this phone does not belong to Mr. Khattar.”
Anti climax………
Mrs. Khattar : "Huh!!!! (relief had crept into her voice)….do you mean this number is not XXXXXXXXX"
Me: "Nope it isn’t, you’ve transposed the last two digits".
Mrs Khattar : "I’m so sorry" (she was perplexed, relieved, sorry all at once)
Me: "Its OK….why don’t you dial the correct number now….and have a nice day."

I disconnected before I could hear Mrs. K’s answer (if at all)

12 comments:

GSV said...

After listening to thumping drum and guitar by Simon & Garfunkel, it was almost obvious for me to do little digging into the lyrics of 'CeCilia'-

"Cecilia you're breakin' my heart
You're shakin my confidence daily
Whoa Cecilia I'm down on my knees
I'm beggin you please to come home
Come on home

Makin' love in the afternoon with Cecilia
Up in my bedroom (makin' love)
I got up to wash my face
And when I come back to bed someone's taken my place

Cecilia you're breakin' my heart
You're shakin my confidence daily
Whoa Cecilia I'm down on my knees
I'm beggin' you please to come home

Jubilation she loves me again
I fall on the floor and I'm laughing
Jubilation she loves me again
I fall on the floor and I'm laughing"

and i found metaphorical quality of song very inspiring..how it relates 'writer's block' is very interesting..enjoyed..thanks N..:)

hey but how does it all relates to
'Caught in CONnection', it cant be as simple as it seems..:P okay okay
I comment now- flow of language was super. humour quality was good. :)and it was an interesting episode also..:P
Liked it
:))

Anonymous said...

Hi Nandini,
This is an interesting blog. In a few words, u had managed to convey the woman's angst and relief. Well written Nandini. Keep on writitng. It is always fun to read ur blogs. If possible write more frequently :)

Unknown said...

On a lighter note.....
As i am always known for playing pranks...I will suggest...

Call someone on the phone, shake them up a little with some sexy whispers and then hang up!

Unknown said...

Now on a serious note...

All the people who are tense aboute something....end up making wrong calls!
And as they have already exhausted their patience...They cant wait to reach the right person....And reflect their state of mind!
Good dialogue delivery nandini!

Unknown said...

And now....listen to this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1ckdOCPbdI

Anonymous said...

Wow Nandini, quite a dig to the daily soaps....& definitely Ekta kapoor makes an impact....
well, why did u kill the suspense so soon....shud have played on a little longer...& given her some more food for thought....and some more spice for us readers....

U shud have also named this something like "Kot in Konexn"...wud have got the highest rating....It still does babes !!...jus kidding !!...keep the pen rolling !!...oopps, rather the fingers typing !!... :-)...& lets have more of these coming from your beautiful mind...seriously funny huh !!...

Neel said...

You touched on a very serious subject.....got me floored....the ease through which u changed the scenario and broke the ice was really very impressive... Nandinism is alive and well...
brilliantly written.....just hope Miss Ekta Kapoor is not taking too much of ur time.......
please continue with ur good work....enjoyed it thorouhgly......

Hazaron Khwahishein said...

I think it's pity and Mrs. K deserves sympathy... Even if it was her husband's no.... Why a negative wrong thought should come to her mind the first thing on hearing a female voice on her husband's mobile ????? It can be a colleague or he has left mobile somewhere or anything... Whether it's HER weak psychology or her husband's 'colourful' nature... whatever made her think that... She deserves sympathy in both cases for her helplessness, her frustration and her rusted relationship.

scintilla said...

Quite a funny episode. I would have started laughing on the person across the line without hanging up the phone... :P

And that's nicely written too.

Keep writing :)

we-the-helping-hands said...

pranksters ;)
Gosh! I've been fighting with bucketful of them.. but really nice writeup sweetu.. err.. well..Ms. Utterly butterly delicious.. slurrrp:D

coffeeismypoison said...

verrrry nice!!

Shalabh said...

hahah. Good one! It reminded me of a story on star where this guy deprived of a social life used to make random calls to people to converse. Was touchy.
Btw, is this fiction?